Bonneville Chapter ICC
February 14, 2012
Farmington City Hall
160 S. Main Street Farmington, Utah, 84025
Questions call: 801-634-2250 Brad Mecham
Meeting Agenda Minutes
12:00 – 12:30 Lunch Provided by Bob Ek of American Gypsum Company – Thanks to American Gypsum and Bob Ek for Lunch and some very good training.
12:25 – 12:30 Welcome by President: Tex Couch
12:30 – 1:30 Education
- · Understanding and Using the Gypsum Association’s Fire Resistance Design Manual By: Bob Ek CSI, CDT Technical Service Manager American Gypsum Company
- · Over sales, answers Q’s nationally regarding gypsum products, and helps to write technical literature.
- · 97% of homes use wallboard
- · Coal byproduct synthetic gypsum
- · 8 major companies in US that supply gypsum products
- · STC, FSTC, IIC – different testing methods for sound
- · Many metal studs don’t pass in proprietary systems
- · Less Generic systems now than in the past
- · Steel studs – should be 25 gauge studs used in assembly
- · Endurance and Hose stream must pass both tests
- · Gypsum doesn’t necessarily burn it’s ambient temperature that is measured. Test temp is 325 degrees and avg over 250 degrees
- · Need moderat contact of drywall to be approved ¼” or 1/8” gap is not approved
- · Control joint every 30’ bearing walls or non-bearing ASTM C8 40 GA 216 50’ ceilings ( can download systems at gypsum.org)
- · Sound caulking – mud and tape not good for sound
- · Pg. 8 of manual item 4 screws vs nails – can exchange but same pattern must be followed
- · Gypsum mfg. will not stand behind IBC 721
1:30 – Close Tex Couch
- 1. Calendar updates, Spring fling
- a. Ed Domian provided calendar updates for ABM Sept 19 – 21. November is a second choice if needed
- b. Location Farmington City building
- c. Chris Kimbal $600 half day $1100 full day garages and decks structural with engineers using IRC.
- d. Craig motion and Mike 2nd to pay Chris $600 per half motion carried
- e. Steve (Ogden City) Motion to do garage and decks only no carports directly from IRC Jerry 2nd motion carried.
- 2. Marketing for Spring fling – Flyers, Facebook post, Website, Email
- a. Print email flyer and put on city counter for contractors
- b. Jerry Thompson updated us on website progress. It is up and running the web address is iccbonn.wordpress.com
- c. It works like a blog but functions like a website. Should be very user friendly. Specific members of board will have access to update site and Jerry will administrate the site – Currently Jerry, Doug, Craig, and Brad will have access. Other board members may have access later.
- d. Bill motion to go with iccbonn.wordpress.com web site Paul 2nd motion carried
- e. Bruce motioned to pay to keep iccbonn for $30 Bruce 2nd motion carried
- f. Should there be an open forum on website? Most say no – to be determined later.
- g. We will post education, calendar items, minutes, chapter business, etc.
- 3. Possible scholarships to apply for; local and national
- a. Code of honor in July – need to apply?
- 4. Upcoming house bills to support or oppose –
- a. HB 383 Jeremy Peterson
i. Bedroom window for basement egress, when non-conforming can city require a change…. Only rental? …
- b. Bill Green – IAPMO changed request will not be reviewed this year. Not enough difference to make a change. Withdrew request for change.
- c. HB 262 Fred Cox IGCC
- d. HB 211 Change code adption process. Make new proposal that the process be done different than current. Title 15A needs to be written different for clarification.
- 5. Upcoming code changes and state amendments; Adoption of 2012 January or July 2013?
- 6. Treasures report – Budgeting for ABM, Spring Fling No updates – Tax guy reviewing 2011
- 7. Open questions: What is on your minds?
- a. Kent Smith – Health department make code more restrictive than building code, Can they do this? Brian Romney – Yes, it is possible.
- b. Mike Bosch – How many people can come from private company for the $300 corporate rate. Especially to training. Is it fair to allow a generally unlimited number to show up or should there be a limit and then pay more for any additional attendants.
i. Chapter needs to evaluate how to handle this situation.
Old and New Business:
Conclusion and motion to adjourn
Craig motion to adjourn Mike 2nd motion carried.
|President: Tex CouchVice-President: Doug Smith
Board: Lon Christenson – 1year term
Brian Romney – 2 year term
John Saunders – 3 year term
Treasurer: Mike Bosch
Secretary: Brad Mecham