Understanding And Using The Gypsum Association’s
Fire Resistance Design Manual
Bob Ek CSI, CDT
Technical Service Manager
American Gypsum Company
Farmington City Hall
160 S. Main Street
Farmington, Utah, 84025
Those attending will receive credit for 2 LU/HSW through the AIA, or certificates for other professional organizations can be provided.
Mr. Ek has worked in the gypsum industry for almost 31 years, the last 8 years with American Gypsum. Items to be discussed include;
• There are 8 gypsum wallboard companies in the United States.
• Each company has fire and sound rated assemblies – some shared but many proprietary.
• To assist the industry, these 8 companies working through the Gypsum Association combine these different tested assemblies into one repository – the “Fire Resistance Design Manual”.
• Examine terms used in the Fire Resistance Design Manual and how they are applied.
• How a fire test is performed.
• Basic conditions of sound control.